Sunday, February 21, 2010

Me-My-Mo Mitts

This is my first attempt at writing down a pattern.
It's pretty much how I'd talk someone threw it, so the technical terms may not be there, but I think it's pretty straight forward.
Any advice/feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

The name for these mitts came about due to the constant "me", "mine", "my" that went on while knitting the sample. My 2 1/2 year old daughter thinks that everything I knit is for her. And while talking to her and her brother there is alot of word jumbling. How do we know mommy is frustrated? How jumbled up her words get!

I’ve made these only once so far and while I like them I have a few changes I’d make for the second pair. Mine were made in Sport weight on US8’s; the fabric itself is a little loose as well as the overall fit. This pattern is the result of the proposed changes.



Worsted yarn on US8 or Sport yarn on US6

Long Tail CO 50 stitches. (30 stitches will make up the front, 20 for the back.)
Place marker and join in round.
Row 1 (Set up round) K2, P2, K4, P1, K12, P1, K4, P2, *K2, P2, repeat from * until end. (This forms the back of the cuff.)
Row 2 K2, P2, C2F, P1, C3F C3B, P1, C2B, P1, *K2, P2 repeat from * to end.
Row 3 Same as Row 1.
Row 4 K2, P2, C2F, P1, K12, P1, C2B, P1, *K2, P2 repeat from * to end.
Row 5 Repeat Row 1.
Row 6 Repeat Row 2.

Repeat Rows 1-6 for the desired length of cuff, finishing with Row 2 or 6. Initial sample has a 3 in cuff.

Thumb gusset. You can do this many ways. It you only want the thumb opening, work back and forth across the mitt as if it were flat (Rows 1, 3, & 5 will be purled in this case.)

Thumb gussets:
Form thumb gussets in the best location for you.
This is still something I’m playing around with.
At the location where you’ve decided place markers on each side of one stitch.

Starting on the next row:
Row 1: M1 after each marker (increasing the # inside the markers by 2.)
Row 2: The next row knit all thumb gussets.

Continue these two rows until thumb gusset reaches lowest thumb knuckle. (I know, technical right…)
Place thumb stitches onto scrap yarn.
Begin knitting around as before gusset, continue cables as pattern reads.

Continue cable on front & stockinet on back until palm is ½-1” shorter that the desired palm length. End with Row 2 (or 6).

Next Row, begin 2x2 ribbing for the top of the mitten. The cables should flow pretty easily into the ribbing. Complete ½ - 1” of ribbing. Cast off.

Pick up thumb stitches. Pick up 2 stitches from body of mitt, between edges of gusset. (Go for an even # of stitches here.)
Row 1: Knit all stitches.
Row 2: Begin 2x2 ribbing.
Repeat row 2 for desired length.


0 comments:

Post a Comment